Saturday, August 17, 2013

90% There

On Monday of this week, we moved Mom into my home. In the weeks leading up to the move, things got crazier and crazier.  Not only were we emptying the two rooms in the house that contained the most storage and therefore had the most stuff, but critical decisions regarding Mom & Dad and their future and their care were being made...and changed daily.

Coming from a family of 14 children, all extremely intelligent and opinionated and passionate in their own right, each decision brought forward for consideration was subject and will continue to be subject to the strong opinions of the people who care about Mom & Dad the most.  This is how it should be!  But about a week into our decision to have Mom & Dad move in, I realized that continuing to juggle my own life while preparing my home for them, made it close to impossible to report to everyone all the little details.  The details changed daily anyway!

I finally had to make a decision to let everyone else hash out how things could go on the conference calls, get the great ideas later, and actually implement only the things that would work fantastically for me and Mom.  Feeling a little freer to not answer my phone 30 times a day, I continued to work to prepare everyone to combine two households.

With the exception of just a few more boxes, we've got most of their stuff and were able to move Dad in on Wednesday.  Thank heavens for Pam who is managing on the packing and sorting and cleaning on the other end.  This could not have happened without her.  And Brooke.  And Jennnifer.  And Patty. And everyone!

Imagine going from 14,000 square feet, to 10,000 square feet, to 5,000 square feet to 3,000 square feet, to 1800 square feet, to about...500 square feet.  That is what my Mom & Dad have done.  With amazing attitudes and open minds.  They are blessing my life already.

No comments:

Post a Comment